Sunday, December 19, 2004

Keeping promises

Last week I promised my blog mentor, Judy Hourihan, that I would blog on Friday. Friday was the day before yesterday and I now I am two days late. To honor my promise to Judy, I need to break my promise to my husband. I promised my husband that I would work on updating our Christmas card list as soon as I finished ordering my father's Christmas gift to his nurse. Instead, I am "cheating" by catching up on Friday's broken promises. Constant catch-up results in a chonic sense of guilt, of not living up to the world's expectations.

I so much want to please people and do what will make them happy, that I am almost always "over promising". My dreams of what I will (or want to) accomplish almost always exceed what I am able to accomplish. Should I sleep less? Should I promise less? Judy, I had the intention of keeping my word when I promised. I will reflect on "designing" a New Year's resolution that will support by actions being more consistent with my promises. (Maybe I need to work on just saying "no" more often?)

My plan for this blog is that several of my collaborators that are part of the Center for Balance by Design will reflect on my reflections. Together, we will attempt to develop co-creative, generative dialogue. I am a novice at generative dialogue. All I know so far is that generative dialogue is dialogue that stimulates thinking and response. My sense is that it is interesting, challenging and thought provoking. It encourage us to add our own "two cents". It makes us feel bigger rather than smaller. It makes us feel glad to be "one" with the human condition. Any other ideas about generative dialogue?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home